WESTT CS/BV Virtual Engine Test Bench
The WESTT CS/BV is a multipurpose simulation test bench of the DGEN 380 and of its ECU (Engine Control Unit). This innovative and interactive tool is the ideal platform to develop insight into the characteristics of a turbofan engine.
- A real time simulation of the main engine performance data
- A dynamic 3D visualization of the engine
- Thermodynamic and aerodynamic explorations
- The DGEN control system with access to the engine regulation code
Fields of application
The WESTT CS/BV station is an ideal tool for up-to-date and practical education & research in a wide range of fields.
The simplicity of the engine’s architecture and its very high and its innovative technology make the station appropriate for all levels of study.
- The reprogrammable regulation code and the failures simulation module allow for the study of the engine’s control system and its modern all-electric concept.
- The simulated engine lends itself to proficient thermodynamic and aerodynamic explorations.
- Dedicated 3D views are ideal for understanding the turbofan architecture, learning about the oil and fuel systems and practicing to engine maintenance.
The WESTT CS/BV is a hardware-in-the-loop system which contains the following elements.
- The SIMMOT contains a simulated model of the DGEN 380. It recreates the experimental behavior of the engine and provides realistic engine data on a real time basis.
- The ECU is the DGEN 380’s original engine control unit.
- The BDI makes it possible to upload a modified FADEC program.
- The manual controls are the master switch, the mode selector, the PLA and the flight conditions (Speed, Temperature, Altitude).
- It is also possible to use software controls, to program automatic cycles and to trigger a wide spectrum of failures.
The test bench comes equipped with three display screens enabling users to control the simulation, to explore the three main educational modules (Thermodynamics, Aerodynamics & Control System) and to toggle between various visualizations.
Control System module
Dynamic 3D visualisation of the engine and air flows
Both theoretical and practical courses can be taught easily and efficiently with this all-integrated system.
In a classroom. The teacher can connect the station to a video-projector and use it to illustrate several theoretical principles e.g. velocity triangles in a HP turbine.
For a practical case studies. The station can be operated by groups of up to 3 students and can be remotely controlled by the teacher for blind troubleshooting. Price Induction supports its customers for an integration of the WESTT CS/BV in their laboratory in the best possible way.
Example of a Control System practical course: students work individually or by pairs on their PCs using the WESTT CS/BV dynamic block diagram model to prepare their regulation codes before testing them on the WESTT CS/BV station.
The WESTT CS/BV can also be configured to accommodate more students at once or be combined with other WESTT products to link virtual exercices with real ones. Potential combination include the WESTT BH for the experimental analogy with the DGEN’s oil and fuel systems, or with the WESTT SE-HP or WESTT SEV stations for complementary applications in mechanical and maintenance engineering.
The platform at a glance
- Completely new way to use Price Induction’s virtual engine test bench, exporting its whole content beyond the perimeter of a dedicated classroom or lab;
- Remote access to the virtual engine test bench for teachers and students through the local network, regardless of location on school ground;
- Possibility to teach various aircraft engine or propulsion-related topics in an amphitheater configuration, or for students to reinforce their knowledge at their own pace in dedicated classrooms or from home.
Remote control of the WESTT CS/BV for an improved teaching and learning efficiency
- Until today, users (teachers and students) had to be in front of the virtual test bench;
- Any computer can be connected to the school network to control the engine simulator;
- New applications with a user-friendly interface allow the display of any of the three WESTT CS/BV screens on dedicated screens for teachers’ or students’ use.
A new approach to teaching: 4 different configurations
Simulation Lab: Realistic test control environment. Application: practical courses with 3 students, 3rd year project
Full Remote Application: Mainly dedicated to teachers. Allowing full remote control of the bench. Application: amphitheatre
Visualization Mode: Students browsing independently through the whole content of the bench. Application: practical courses
Offline Mode: Offline mode, without being connected to the school network. Dedicated teacher application
The simplicity of the engine’s architecture and its innovative technology make the station appropriate for all education levels including technical maintenance trainings, engineering studies, advanced R&D projects, lifelong trainings in aviation and pilot training.